Prep time 20 mins
Cook time 20 mins
- ¾ cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 ½ cups cooked black beans (or 1 can rinsed and drained)
- 1 ½ cups fresh tomatoes, diced (or slice cherry tomatoes or 1 red bell pepper)
- 1 ½ cups corn (fresh or frozen id ideal), charred
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- Tomato (or bell pepper)
- Corn (fresh or frozen, or zucchini)
- 1 large avocado or 2-3 small avocadoes
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder or 1-2 teaspoons finely diced jalapeno
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Rinse quinoa well, drain and place in a small pot with the water and oregano. Bring to a simmer, cover, cook on low heat until all the water is gone, and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. let stand 5 minutes, fluff and cool.
- In a dry Skillet, char the corn kernels over medium – high heat until lightly charred.
- In a large bowl, add black beans, tomatoes, charred corn, scallions, red onion, cilantro, and toss in the room temperature quinoa.
- Add the dressing ingredients to the bowl: olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, maple syrup, garlic clove, cumin, coriander, chilli powder, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, salt and pepper.
- Give a good stir and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, lime and chipotle powder to taste. Keep in mind the salad and avocado will soak up some of the salt as it sits.
- Once you are satisfied, gently fold in the diced avocado (or add before serving.)
- Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro
To make the dish spicier, add finely diced jalapeno or hot peppers.
To make this less spicy, leave out the chipotle and hot peppers and substitute with a little more paprika.
If making the dish in advance, add the avocado just before serving, and make adjustments to seasonings, salt and lime before serving.
Can be served on its own or with a bed of greens.
Feel free to embellish with pumpkin seeds, alfalfa, sprouted legumes or micro greens.