Green Curry Dressing
- 12 ounces silken tofu, drained (preferably in a shelf-stable aseptic package, not packed in water and refrigerated)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for assembling the salad
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt, (more to taste if needed)
- 1/4 cup black lentils, boiled soft and ready
- Pure or filtered water
- Sesame seed oil or coconut oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons toasted white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt, (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups lightly packed red gem lettuce leaves (may substitute romaine hearts), chilled
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves, chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves, chopped, for garnish
To make the dressing:
- In the large bowl of a food processor, combine the tofu, basil, olive oil, curry paste, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, agave, and salt. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Taste and add more salt if needed.
To make the salad:
- Combine the lentils with 1 cup water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drain in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse with cold water, then scatter on paper towels and gently pat dry.
- Pour the oil to a depth of 1 inch into a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Line a bowl with paper towels.
- When the oil shimmers, sprinkle in the lentils, being careful to avoid splatters.
- Cook until the lentils stop bubbling, about 5 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to scoop them into the paper-towel-lined bowl.
- When the lentils are cool, remove the paper towels, and stir in the sesame seeds, flaxseeds, salt, and garlic powder.
To assemble the salad:
- Scrape 1/2 cup of the dressing into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, drizzle in a little olive oil, and whisk to combine. Drop in the lettuce leaves and gently toss until they are well coated. Sprinkle with half the lentil mixture and gently toss to coat. Add another 1/4 cup of the dressing, if you’d like, and toss to coat.
- Divide the salad among serving plates, sprinkle each serving with the remaining lentil mixture, and garnish with the chopped basil and mint.